Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Restoration 1984 R4 GTL Rutger-peer

The thing with the choke you said, points me to the idle jet as well as iMacThere... said.
Underneath the carb there's a Plug (10mm?) unscrew that plug and you are able to remove the idle jet with a flat screwdriver. See if it's bore is open!

I agree with Malcolm. A misfire sounds like there is no spark on one or more cylinders. You can disconnect each lead in turn and see which one makes no difference. If it is erratic (ie: not always the same cylinder) then I'd buy a new condenser.
Best bet anyway, is to clean up the whole ignition system, the distributor as Malcolm suggests, give it new points and a condenser, have a look at the rotor. These can be dodgy and cheap after market ones can short out, so get a decent quality one. Check and clean and gap your plugs.... and then, hopefully, things will run better.

I already did the usual and obvious things to try and fix the problem but it seems to be a little more complicated.

@Imacthere4iam:

I cleaned the carburattor out completely, took everything apart but it was actually very clean inside, no blocked jets either. Might check it one more time though. Your description of the leak manifoldgasket sounds a little like my problem though, the engine runs fine at higher RPM's.

@ Malcolm: I do have a restrictor in the hose to the inlet manifold, I actually changed the hose since it was broken, took out the restrictor and put it in the new hose. The restrictor was totally blocked with sludge though... so that can only improve the egine's running. I already had the ignition apart totally. I also had the point out etc. so anything that didn't make contact should do so now. But I might check that once more ofcourse. I also sanded the corroded distributorcontact a little so that they would make proper contact again.

@DavidN. I will cerainly do that. I don't really remember well anymore how it goes together but if I can take that jet out that easy, i will do it for certain.

@ barnfind. I did that, sometimes it didn't make a difference taking one of the leads off (at least at 2 cylinders). I also got the feeling that at least 2 of the cylinders are running decently and that occasionally they all misfire. Which leads to the observation that it doesn't really matter which lead you take off since they all run pretty badly.

I will change the condenser, then look if it's better. But i still feel like the manifoldgasket isn't totally tight anymore either. Anyway, I'm busy with exams right now so this adventure will continue after the 14th!

Thanks for all the advice! Really appreciate that! :)

Naff fix but if you block the hole in the inlet manifold it should run really nicely - if it doesn't then its not the hoses.

Mine was the same when I inherited it and that was because a bit of the inlet gasket was missing.

Regards,
Andrew

A leaky inlet manifold gasket is easy to confirm by spraying some flammable solvent such as carb cleaner around the gasket. If the engine revs up, you can tell the solvent is being sucked in where it shouldn't.

A leaky inlet manifold gasket is easy to confirm by spraying some flammable solvent such as carb cleaner around the gasket. If the engine revs up, you can tell the solvent is being sucked in where it shouldn't.

That's a nice tip! I'll try that, though I think a friend of mine who came by did that with WD40, although maybe not that extensively and I don't know either whether WD40 is quite flammable. I'll try!

Hey all!

I've been struggling with the engine the last couple of weeks, it wouldn't run properly, it ran on 2 cylinders I think. I still needed bumpers and been busy with exams.

Anyway, a friend of mine and his dad came over and as magically they just played around with the engine a bit and now it runs superbly. I'm sure you all can imagine how happy I am.

They first set the ignition right with a strobe lamp, then they set the ignitionpoints at the right distance (or at least made sure they were .4 mm apart) and after that they finetuned the carburattor. I think objectively adjusting the ignition must have done it, since I relied on the sound of the engine for the timing of the ignition, I would never have been able to set it right because my carburattor wasn't tuned right. It's kind of like a formula with 2 unknowns (the outcome being the smooth running of the engine), they all both depend upon eachother and unless you're able to know one value for certain, you'll be looking for the right adjustment for forever.

So I'm very greatful to those two guys.

I was given 2 bumpers, of which I used the rear one since my own front one was in good condition. I sprayed them but the finish wasn't that good since I did it kind of hasty, the sandingjob wasn't that good. But I just wanted to get it done so I can take the car for an APK (Dutch version of the MOT), I can give the bumpers a nice finish later.

The car is really almost done now, only need to treat the wheelarches with undercoating and do some minor things. So I'm guessing for it to be on the road if the APK turns out well on the weekend of the 5th of may.

A few pictures of the newly sprayed bumpers attached.

Regards!

• P1100322.jpg
    P1100322.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 717
  • P1100323.jpg
    P1100323.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 714
Hey people,

It's been a long time since you heard from me, so time for some updating. The car is finished and has an MOT (called APK in the Netherlands). Actually it has been ready for almost 2 months I think. I did a lot of adjusting etc. to it since then.

I changed my Femsa distributor for a Ducellier since I couldn't find a working timing advancer for my Femsa. With the Ducellier she runs like a ... whatever you call that in English. Anyway, she runs great, does a 135 km/h on the highway and easily 50 km/h in the 4th gear without shaking or rocking, which she couldn't 2 years ago.

I put in nice carpet and a radio with 2 nice speakers in the front near the driver's and passengers' feet.

I drilled 2 little holes in the bootfloor near the pillars the bootlid leans on, since water tends to run down along those pillars, collecting in those pockets, where it stays and creeps everywhere it can, so I drilled 2 small holes so it can flow away.

In the beginning I had some minor problems, like an alternator that didn't have proper grounding, so the battery didn't charge, which had me end up with a stranded car in the middle of town with my girlfriend having to help push it down a hill since she didn't know how to "jumpstart" it. Pretty embarassing. Anyway, all has been taken care of since and right now everything works perfectly except for the windscreen fluid pump since the intersection piece between the hoses is broke, I'll get a new one for it. Also the back window heating doesn't work, I guess it doesn't ground but I will take care of that in the near future.

I also had to change the bearing of the v-belt tensioner. I didn't at all notice that it was in such bad shape until it jammed somewhere in the middle of nowhere, making lots of noise. Luckily I had an old v-belt with me, changed that for my new one and drove home with a v-belt that still propelled my waterpump and alternator but nonetheless just slipped over the tensioner, without the tensioner spinning along. When we took the old bearing out, it had already lost 2 or 3 balls. Oopsie.

Anyway, some pictures:

601294_380875525306813_1184138282_n.jpg

309932_380877561973276_74811003_n.jpg

181424_380877578639941_1556245544_n.jpg

309932_380877598639939_451206188_n.jpg

Hello Rutger-Peer,

she's a beauty!
You really did a fantastic job with your thorough restoration and you will enjoy that little car for a long time now!

These little problems are quite normal.
It just takes some time on the road to get all these "bugs" sorted out.

Have fun!

Cheers,

David

Rutger,
Well done, You have done a great job, I've enjoyed your posts very much, Lovely car,

Thanks Nicky!

And David, that's a completely justified comment ;). I have been looking for a nicer one already, however didn't yet find one yet.

The one you suggested earlier is indeed pretty nice, but also a little expensive, especially when I have to have it shipped to the Netherlands too. I'll keep my eyes open for something resembling that. Until that time my car will have to look like a Martian ;).

Hi Rutger-peer, you have done a great job, and I too have enjoyed the story of the rebuild. Love that colour and those wheels look fab.

Well I would say your doing mighty fine with both the car and your English, my Dutch consists of one word Edam, my favourite cheese, smile.

The car looks terrific. I am slowly catching you up, but my weekends just seem to evaporate at the moment. Must do better!

Hi Tom, oh no, not again, it looks like you are being targeted. I read your comments on FB, you are very phylisophical but I bet you are really mad and hurting:(. Hope you can get Felicia fixed up ok. Kind regards Brian.:smile:

Thanks for all the great comments! Those make it all worthwile, also the comments you get when you're just driving it or just ready to drive away and somebody stops by to say what a great car you have, that's really awesome. But the best thing of course is to just drive it and to not be able to get that grin off of your face ;).

Back