Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

1985 Renault R4 F6 restoration project

Today the new shoes arrived.
:D

With the choice of tyres I wanted to add a special and personal note to the smurfish little van.

The decision was between white sidewall tyres or some bad-ass (I apologize for my choice of words ;)) off-road-style ones.

As I couldn't find a place that sells the white sidewall tyres in the correct size it had to be the 2nd alternative...

Restauration-189.jpg

Restauration-190.jpg

I know it will be controversial seen, but I think, I like it.
And as the F6 is just a "fun-car" I can live with the inconvenience of having a cross-country R4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice choice! Personally I don't like whitewalls on most cars, let alone an R4.

What manufacturer makes these mud tyres? Are they 155/13?

Hi Angel,

these are offroad tyres made by Fedima.
The "official" (and imprinted ;)) size is 145/80 13.
BUT they are wider AND bigger in diameter than standard 145/80 13 ones.
I mounted the new tyres on one side of the car first and you could easily see that the car was out of level with the old tyres on the other side. :lol:

So in addition to the unique offroad-style look I will gain a little ride height. :D

Restauration-191.jpg

Restauration-192.jpg

I got temporary plates today and was able to take the van for a ride.
On Wednesday I have an appointment with the officials to get the TUV (~MOT).

I had to re-adjust the rear brake pressure valve as the rear wheels locked too early. The braking now is absolutely amazing!

The ignition and the timing have to be adjusted as the engine misfires when hot and driven smooth and with constant RPM's.

The carb and the wheel alignment have to be fine-tuned again and the fuel gauge sender does not want to work - damn, I better had checked that before re-assembly. :mad:

Otherwise no problems so far! :D

Restauration-193.jpg

Restauration-194.jpg

I've been following this thread almost from the start and I enjoyed watching the progress very much!

You did a great job and the car looks fantastic, congratulations! Also a good example of how to restore an R4, which for me is a big advantage, since I plan to restore one myself.

I wish you a lot of fun driving the car!

Regards,

Rutger.

i'ts looks amaizing :)

Gratulations...

My R4 need to wait for me - I've renewed a knee injury, and I move only on crutches :(

Thanks Guys!
:oops:

I just want to let you know that I passed the TUV test without any problems this morning. :D
(Okay, we had to cheat a little bit to pass the emission test.) :cool:

The car is still misfiring and the idle RPMs are not very consistent.
(I still use all the old ignition components, but ordered new parts yesterday.)
So this last problem will be solved in a few days, I'm sure.

I think that is probably the end of my little "restoration story" here.
I hope that this thread was absorbing, inspiring or at least a bit entertaining for you.

I want to thank you all for your help, useful hints, tips and opinions on my little project !!
Without them I wouldn't have mastered all that.

All the best,

David

I can't resist it any longer - I must say your choice in wheel colour is a very personal taste. Did you consider silver? :D Otherwise fabulous work and well done on the TUV. :hug:

For the running problems new points and then getting the timing right might help a lot. Also the vacuum advance in the distributor has a big influence in low speed running if it misfires at a continuous 50km/h. You can check if the vacuum advance works by removing the distributor cap, then removing the vacuum pipe that attaches to the carburettor and sucking through it. If there is a leak or if the distributor base plate doesn't rotate there may be a problem.

Also have you checked the valve clearances? That's the other thing. The 1108 engines should be a joy to drive.

Hi David, i've watched your restoration all the way through ( i have one the same as you and it's red ) and it does you credit how thorough and meticulous you.ve been all the way through, i only hope that i can be as enthusiastic as you have been but i know it will take me longer, anyway all the best for you and your car in the future.

ps i like the colour, so i might be changing mine when finished.

bobble

I can't resist it any longer - I must say your choice in wheel colour is a very personal taste. Did you consider silver?

Ignore him, anyone would think he owned the site or sumat ;)

I reckon they make it look very utilitarian, (military stylee)

I seem to remember him giving me grief about the Red paint in my Gordini Alloys when I first got those, I reckon he's a bit of a wheel fetishist!

Ignore him, anyone would think he owned the site or sumat ;)
That was a personal opinion not a forum wheel rule from on high (can we have one?:D) Though I did notice through the rain that your Gordini wheels were still of questionable taste. I wasn't going to mention it. :hug:

I will get some paint stripper on them some time soon and get it taken off just for you XX

Thanks Guys,

the wheel colour indeed bothers me. :oops:
What I don't like is that the grey of the rims turned out to be a greenish one.
(That was only visible when mounted to the car.)

Silver is a no go, but I should have painted them the same grey as the bumpers and the grille.
(Maybe one of a few improvements to do...)

David

Grey wheels would be great!
how is it going with the TUV stuff? have you got the license plates?

BTW: I've just bought two F6s (1976 & 1978) ;)

Grey wheels would be great!
how is it going with the TUV stuff? have you got the license plates?

BTW: I've just bought two F6s (1976 & 1978) ;)

TUV and plates are two different administrative acts over here, executed by different (state) authorities.

First of all you have to pass the TUV "test" without any major problem then you have to provide that "certificate" to the road traffic licensing department where you'll get the plates.

Until now I was only able to get the TUV.
I still have to get the plates which is only a formal act.

And grey wheels are definitely my next project.

David

Hi David,
There are any discounts or benefits for antique vehicles in Germany?
Such as different plates?

Back