Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Finally took the courage...

You can seal the body to the chassis with one 10m sealant roll by omitting sealant at these chassis depressions each side of the fuel tank, as there is no boot floor contact there.

Was this 6-blade fan an original fitment to your R4? I have only seen it on an R10, even our hot climate spec R4s got the four blade sheet metal fan.

You can seal the body to the chassis with one 10m sealant roll by omitting sealant at these chassis depressions each side of the fuel tank, as there is no boot floor contact there.

Was this 6-blade fan an original fitment to your R4? I have only seen it on an R10, even our hot climate spec R4s got the four blade sheet metal fan.
I don't know, cause my r4 had a white plastic fan while a friend's 76 safari had this same 6-blades yellow fan... who knows what happened to these engines during their 40 years life!
I liked the metal fan, feared that the 4-blade I already have was too weak for my engine and bought this on ebay, from a guy listing a lot of r4 pieces...

Azazello what an amazing job. I LOVE the colour you have chosen . I think that's the one Renault advertised with a curios bunch of guys all wearing fishermens jumpers and BIG BEARDS! now in the UK at least, big beards are high fashion...;)
You really are steaming ahead of me. My bodywork hasn't been to the paint shop yet

Today I worked on the windows frames... they are fairly corroded but fortunately not in places that are visible once fitted. Didn't think welding as a suitable alternative, given the really thin metal...
Treated the rust with a couple of phosphoric acid based products but ended brushing rustol cip on them... next week, when I will come back from Lyon, they will be ready to be filled and painted. Hopefully, I will find home even the new spray gun I ordered on ebay. I trust that the 0.8 nozzle will do this really precise job even with my lack of ability...

Were the frames chrome plated before? Both my cars, 1980GTL and the 1983 845cc have plastic. The 845 has the chrome fitting around the edge channel of the roof and luckily no rust.

Were the frames chrome plated before? Both my cars, 1980GTL and the 1983 845cc have plastic. The 845 has the chrome fitting around the edge channel of the roof and luckily no rust.
The frame itself is metal barely painted in black, but it has a chromed strip that goes inside the car and on which the window knob runs and stops in order to open/close the window... it is surely easier to show than to explain but don't think I have a photo available. ..
This is from the net, you can see the metal frame outside, the glass-passing knob and the chromed trim inside.
1img-1315042238.jpg

Yesterday I tried dismantling the distributor... ducellier r284.
20151102_193925.jpg
One of two masses (top right in the photo) is worn around the axle on which it turns... it misses the washer and circlip too.
Think of fitting some little tube to make a better coupling, with less clearance, and new circlip and washer. Any idea of the material to be used?
Tried even to dismantle more, but there is a small circlip on the bottom of the distributor that I am not able to undo...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

fantastic color..........i can not take my eyes of it........congratulation Azazello......

:artist:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

fantastic color..........i can not take my eyes of it........congratulation Azazello......

:artist:
Thanks Petak, very kind...
Now my main worry is to have the vinyl capote done again... hope to find a professionist brave and able enough...

Nice and that is an understatement.
Please come and show your car at Renaultoloog in the Netherlands on 10 and 11 september

Yesterday I choosed the best dashboard I had and carefully washed it from dirt; today dashboard and heater console received a coat of special oil in order to be renewed.

Now I have a really nice dark red steering wheel with a dirt and age patina, I would like to have it shining again and I tried with a polishing kit I recently bought; not at all satisfied, the cotton is dismantling and throwing little strips all around, pieces of cotton adhere to the steering wheel if I press to much and cotton strings rotating are marking the bakelite if I do not press it strongly enough on the rotating tool...
Any nice hint to polish the steering wheel?

Looking good! Out of interest I guess your dashboard is a sand beige colour? Or is it grey as the photo appears to be?

I wouldn't use the polishing wheel. It's too fast and friction will melt the steering wheel. How about the same cleaner but applied by hand with a soft cloth (possibly Linen) ?

Looking good! Out of interest I guess your dashboard is a sand beige colour? Or is it grey as the photo appears to be?

I wouldn't use the polishing wheel. It's too fast and friction will melt the steering wheel. How about the same cleaner but applied by hand with a soft cloth (possibly Linen) ?

It is beige but on the greyish side... older ones are more beige. Flash light made color look strange and not real.
For the steering wheel at the end I just used fine wire mesh and the same oil for plastic I used for dashboard. It is now a lot better, but some sign of the mesh is visible so maybe I will proceed hand polishing it as you adviced...

Looking forward to seeing the rebuild. Windscreen washer jets and pipes are the thing that needs to go on before anything else. The R4 seems to be assembled around them.

Looking forward to seeing the rebuild. Windscreen washer jets and pipes are the thing that needs to go on before anything else. The R4 seems to be assembled around them.
Wow Azzazello you are a few steps ahead of me . I still haven't got to the paint shop and so looking forward to my rebuild with everything clean. Malcolm I'll remember to put the screen washer assembly on first

Looking good Azazello! I cleaned all the dirt off my steering wheel with hot water and soap and then used a dashboard renovator spray for plastics and polished it with a soft cloth by hand

Back