Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Finally took the courage...

That's not fair I spotted mistake yesterday ☺
You're right, but I didn't understood you were referring to the sense of the blades... I thought it was a suggestion to avoid touching the alternator nut!

This forum is really helping me... I have a lot of things still to learn!

Sometimes I feel like a college lecturer correcting my pupils work and maybe some need to stay in detention for making mistakes ☺

Shit happens...

Now I need an m8 helicoil to fix this problem...
Any sensible advice?

Bought the kit (not so cheap).

Measured the depth of the hole to be sure not to drill too much, finding water won't be so amusing.

Marked the bit and drilled the hole to the measure to be threaded...

Now I am ready to insert the helicoil. ..

And the prisoner could be put again at its place!

Bravo Andrea! Good repair!
That kit looks really nice, maybe I'll ask it sometimes :P
You're welcome. .. I bought it because I like to have my tools, but it makes sense just if someone else will use it... I hope not to need it another time!

A piece of 0,4 mm gasket paper, new orings and oil seals and the differential plates are at theirs place again.

This was the easy job... the rest of the afternoon was spent trying to fit the driveshafts. The 5 mm roll pin was very diffucult to fit, the two holes did not align very well at first, maybe because of the new oring... the left one after a bit of filing and bad words fitted, the right one I couldn't convince getting in. Tomorrow I will try with a new roll pin...
If any one has some advice. .. it would be welcome!

The holes are off set as there is an odd number of spines rotating 180 and try again is worth trying using a small cross head screwdriver as a pilot guide to double check alignment
If you are doing this single handed it can be tricky find an assistant to push shaft and hub inwards

So the driveshaft have to be oriented in a precise way? This is a really precious information! Thanks Paul!
Effectively my father helped me for the first driveshaft, while the second was tried by myself alone...

Don't forget to seal the ends of pin up as well using silicon or preferably tiger seal

May I say that, when I looked at the price of the kit you used, to install the helicoil it was not so expensive on ebay.co.uk. £9 sterling including postage in UK.

Italian ebay is more expensive, and buy from uk is cheaper but have to include delivery fees and it takes a lot of days to arrive... I am a bit in a hurry. So it costed me 35 euros in the hardware shop...

Italian ebay is more expensive, and buy from uk is cheaper but have to include delivery fees and it takes a lot of days to arrive... I am a bit in a hurry. So it costed me 35 euros in the hardware shop...
I fully understand your comment about the kit being expensive then.
Regards

The reason to seal the pins up is to stop oil leaking as it can travel down the splines and then escape down the hole as the pin is not solid
This definitely happens as recently I worked on Alpine 610 turbo and the oil level was low in the gearbox I filled it to correct level next day some had dripped out I reported it to owner who asked me to change diff seals this I did but it was still dripping so I had to use brake cleaner and degrease it all to use tiger seal on the ends of pin this worked one side the other was less successful and started again with removing an degrease pin injecting hole and coating pin to fill the grooves in roll pin
All this is in the Alpine manual I read afterwards !!
however it does use thinner synthetic 75/90 gearbox oil
I will confess to not always sealing pins on pre 73 R4 but the odd drip might be tolerated on a work horse
Now we are striving for perfection I would seal the pins as the factory did

Tomcat, when I am not in such a hurry I buy a lot of tools from uk ebay... it is a good source both for cheapness and the lot of different tool ulyou can find for the home bricoleur (we do not have your same diy tradition). German ebay is a good source too.

Thanks again Paul, your advice seems sensible. It is a shame i filled my pin with grease in order to let it roll more easily! Now the silicone won't adhere for sure... I will try vleaning with wd40 and with thinner...

Back