Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

There's a Renault 4 in my garage at last

Richnd1974

Enthusiast
Great news I've now got a Renault 4 in my garage, purchased from member Declan in Kent yesterday. So stuck a solid 160 miles on her yesterday and what fun I had, m20, m25, m3 and m27 loads of waves and smiles. So F281 HAK is now near Bournemouth. Projects underway, replace the door locks, new door seals and boot seal, window runners, new exhaust and replace the gearbox oil seal as it's now leaking well after its blast on the motorway. So I've spent a few quid today may the transformation begin... Anyone near me who might be able to offer advise I will not turn you down. Plan to shot video and photograph progress

• 20170415_183952.jpg
    20170415_183952.jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 22
Another R4 in dorset :D

Welcome to the forum, what a nice looking car. Looking forward to updates on your progress.

Last edited:
Progess drivers side lock barrel changed this evening, tomorrow the passenger side, only down side i need to retrieve my 8mm socket from inside the door at some stage

Passenger side replaced in 20 minutes and no loss of sockets... Still to get the other one back and magnet on order

A massive box of spare parts has turned up and it's time to go to work... door seals first then to tackle the engine oil seal and exhaust :-)

So door rubber seals, ordered three tubes of glue from the German company if I run out whats the best alternative to get in the UK and where from? Might need it quickly to complete the job

Richard, Have you tried the 'Search' whatsit at the top of the page? There's lots of alternative adhesives mentioned by owners in there. In fact there's so much information in the archives that question asking is almost made redundant ;-)

And I managed to install the door seals the wrong way round so removal and clean up last night, roll on the weekend

Ah bad luck! Am also in Dorset (near Poole) - I shall look out for you on the road. My van is very yellow - more than the photo!
When bought, my door locks had all been 'picked' with a blunt instrument, and I have replaced all, but rarely lock them.
The fronts doors have slots but no locking levers on the inside - is this normal ? Makes locking up a slow march around the van with a key!
If you take the manifold off to drill out the exhaust stud, check the flatness of the manifold where it meets the head (check for little steps between the inlet/exhaust sections) - mine was way out - the exhaust sections had warped away from the head, making sealing a challenge. I had the manifold machined flat.
One of those telescopic magnets is a great tool - I am a clumsy oaf and am constantly dropping bits into the engine crevices!

I SWORE I'VE SEEN A YELLOW R4 VAN IN THE AREA!

Back