Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 GTL 1985 Restoration

JdeW

Enthusiast
When you thought chassis welding is challenging due to the "thickness" of the sheet metal (I'd say the lack of thickness :laughing:) then Renault R4 body welding is a true challenge on your welding skills, the sheet metal is even thinner. :welder:

Continuing the rustoration and first we have a look at the right rear inner wing. It's pretty severe but nothing in comparison 'till you see the left side.

The affected areas shown in red.
665.jpg

Removing multiple layers of original Renault and later added protective agents, shows more rust damage and repairs.
At the bottom of the D-pillar it's rusting from the inside out and a MOT repair on the mounting of the rear seatbelt reinforcement plate.
666.jpg 667.jpg

For all of us the well known rustspot at the bottom of the C-pillar.
668.jpg

Start cutting the rust affected areas and don't be shy on removing the metal!
In the R4 lifetime the rust has spread further and further underneath the so called protective agents.
669.jpg 670.jpg

Applying new formed body metal with a basic tack welding.
671.jpg

And finish it off with a seam weld. The trick is to grind down the weld as much as possible without grinding any sheet metal.
The final finish is done later by lead loading the weld seam instead of using polyester putty.
672.jpg

Here one strip of thicker metal is tacked in place instead of the standard overlap.
673.jpg

Meanwhile some formed repair parts have arrived patiently awaiting further processing.
674.jpg

Body welding is more challenging than chassis welding not only to the thinner material.
While doing chassis welding you've all the space around you but while doing body welding it's like origami to fit a 2 meter tall person in the booth.....

Last edited:

Jurjenz

Enthusiast
I think this is one of the most challenging areas to weld on. Great welding skills Joop! Good to see the progress. Nice new parts, from der franzose?

Briangrech

Enthusiast
When you thought chassis welding is challenging due to the "thickness" of the sheet metal (I'd say the lack of thickness :laughing:) then Renault R4 body welding is a true challenge on your welding skills, the sheet metal is even thinner. :welder:

Continuing the rustoration and first we have a look at the right rear inner wing. It's pretty severe but nothing in comparison 'till you see the left side.

The affected areas shown in red.
View attachment 30361

Removing multiple layers of original Renault and later added protective agents, shows more rust damage and repairs.
At the bottom of the D-pillar it's rusting from the inside out and a MOT repair on the mounting of the rear seatbelt reinforcement plate.
View attachment 30370 View attachment 30362

For all of us the well known rustspot at the bottom of the C-pillar.
View attachment 30363

Start cutting the rust affected areas and don't be shy on removing the metal!
In the R4 lifetime the rust has spread further and further underneath the so called protective agents.
View attachment 30364 View attachment 30365

Applying new formed body metal with a basic tack welding.
View attachment 30366

And finish it off with a seam weld. The trick is to grind down the weld as much as possible without grinding any sheet metal.
The final finish is done later by lead loading the weld seam instead of using polyester putty.
View attachment 30367

Here one strip of thicker metal is tacked in place instead of the standard overlap.
View attachment 30368

Meanwhile some formed repair parts have arrived patiently awaiting further processing.
View attachment 30369

Body welding is more challenging than chassis welding not only to the thinner material.
While doing chassis welding you've all the space around you but while doing body welding it's like origami to fit a 2 meter tall person in the booth.....
Great work !!as regards lead loading, i used it on many restorations HOWEVER be careful to neutralise the acid with sodium bicorbonate as it will rust like hell. I stopped using it and it think metallic filler like vaku-60 is nowadays a better option.
May i please ask if you overlapped the quarter rust repair or just made edged welding(if that's what its called). I avoid overlapping however on a tricky area like that one would be tempted to overlap to avoid warping.

laxeian

Enthusiast
Never used it but picked this up years ago at a boot sale, for spraying lead sticks..1D567070-625B-4871-AA0B-325D0E946854.jpeg

JdeW

Enthusiast
Great work !!as regards lead loading, i used it on many restorations HOWEVER be careful to neutralise the acid with sodium bicorbonate as it will rust like hell. I stopped using it and it think metallic filler like vaku-60 is nowadays a better option.
May i please ask if you overlapped the quarter rust repair or just made edged welding(if that's what its called). I avoid overlapping however on a tricky area like that one would be tempted to overlap to avoid warping.
Hi Braingrech, it's not an overlapped welding as I wrote. The outer wing is seam welded as is the inner part but I used thicker sheet metal.
As far as lead lading, indeed the risk of acid residue is known and I keep in mind your tip regarding vaku-60.

JdeW

Enthusiast
I think this is one of the most challenging areas to weld on. Great welding skills Joop! Good to see the progress. Nice new parts, from der franzose?
Thanks @Jurjenz indeed a challenging area I'd say every area form a R4 body is a challenge.
And yes those parts are form the Franzose.