Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 GTL 1985 Restoration

In a couple of weeks my GTL is coming home for continuing the restoration.
Here she still sits after 2 years of collecting farmers barn dust, could this now be called a "barn find"?

y4mMwG15H09wCMeZOQNQgqkmmPL4FkA6k9qio6jrizcUL2wZFmalEU3QSvaNmDrnjpSlMnWb_MSg1BrhyujFp7x_jWne5FxVQ5mnND_338LeHiRfctPvlTd7us5jXTV-_7XX2DBHstWf4eQyXSMKboImBD0cl4XeLdtYn3ZFbilRCF5j8UIJYKPAHUzSJWlXcZeplxrIo5O5puuqTKXOAUJMw

y4mo_PjVK-rvVvRq3Ma3TYjmQHTFLpjp8A39zw7AWHLJQ8wvb7TBbYyc3c17CVXbZqeD-FO7Jb-Y6PA7p_oGJ8dYMoEucPokIqawgX-zRSi6j5qKW55gAAjfeysCwpIkkUU3t9HHq6hcyvi-oTNJKn-BKFc2ni5kR-e9EifgQCH0YVs-yN49wrg3GLvIaSBkJbZX_G6TsPGpJ2LXr1qZswT-A

On purpose I left some last welds unprotected just to see what the effect after a time could be.
Remarkable is that the welds itself are in perfect condition, only some minor surface rust has developed around some unprotected steel areas.
y4mouHgn5En1vqoQr3ttgE--WALuAhjHTyRZWlkSBcdDoW0V8Oscg-cSCWKtLCfLbOPF-_QKDyp0wW4lcPswivk8w0OKoZueFlP6AJjgtcP-mbyYRXZNUdUq8IcZW0T5Y0Eia4G6AAOAMXj_YCSAPJV8z8O9oRGYxXny-QmmVfvJC4FjmlhMa05uoLi1ByxPwzCRaKxHDveQ2rznqj5xQy8ZA

At last the car is home, that is to say in parts and pieces :D.
In a mere 36 degrees Celsius the final load went home.
20200808_120310.jpg

In the shed, now workshop aka mancave, the big and small parts await treatment again after a rest periode of 2 years :dontknow:
20200808_143744.jpg

And a further look inside the workshop, everything still has to be sorted and placed.
20200808_143753.jpg

20200808_143802.jpg

But still I've to wait to continue restoration, the landlord (my wife ;)) ordered to fix the driveway first and that'll be published in another not R4 related topic.

Cheers, Joop

And suddenly the mancave is filled to the brim. I do hope that you can continue soonish. And at least be ready voor Thenay.

And suddenly the mancave is filled to the brim. I do hope that you can continue soonish. And at least be ready voor Thenay.
Indeed Robert, my original goal was to be ready at the R4's 60th anniversary, but the work has come to a halt for the last 2 years.
I won't rush the remaining work either, with a bit of luck I'll be ready medio 2022.

Still no further progress on my beloved R4...

As @harbourseal kindly wrote last August 9, 2020 "And suddenly the mancave is filled to the brim. I do hope that you can continue soonish. And at least be ready voor Thenay."

Indeed I'd expected to be ready to continue the restoration, but then a domesticle disaster struck.
Our beloved English Bull Terrier "Sam" died suddenly on 18 november 2020 at the age of 11,5 years young. For the true dog lovers out there you can imagine the feeling of loosing such a family friend it's devastating...
P9080024.JPG Houding.jpg Hoofd.jpg
Hoofd-2.jpgPortret.jpgPortret 11jaar.jpg

If it isn't a Bull Terrier, it's just a dog!
It's the most beautiful, finest, most stubborn, clownish breed there is.
And above all it is an English breed!

The last months my wife and I were just looking for a new puppy and finding a new Bull Terrier ain't easy here in The Netherlands as purebred Bull Terrier breeders are rare over here. But there's a small light at the end of the tunnel. Maybe in a couple of weeks we can collect our new Bully and then I can start... training the new pup :whistle:.... ever trained a Bull Terrier pup? Well it takes more effort then a full R4 restoration but the reward in the end is just as satisfactionary.

So it will take another while before I'll continue the R4 restoration

So sad to hear, but I hope that you can find a new familymember soon! I did meet Sam when you were in Groningen 3 years ago? Beautiful dog!

So sorry to read this Joop, I can see he was a beautiful boy, and I know from what you say, that you adored him, and he you I'm sure.
We lost our little terrier Sally last September, so I know what you've been going through with your loss of a faithful friend. RIP Sam.

I'm a confirmed CAT lover, although I like dogs and having lost a cat recently I completely understand how you must feel. My thoughts are with you. My only advice would be to obtain another one as soon as you feel able to. It DOES help!

What a beautiful dog, I remember you saying that he was so happy when you gave him a lawn in your back garden. The loss of a furry friend is devastating. I'm sure you have shared some wonderful times together and you will always have those fond memories.

Thank you all for your kind words.
And @Cornish4, sorry to hear you lost your Sally, and @Andrew4Renaults sorry to hear you lost a cat.
My wife and I we like and love almost every animal, but primarily dogs and especially the English Bull Terrier. Either a dog or a cat they are true family members and losing one is hard.

Yes @Andrew4Renaults we are looking for a new family member, which will be our third Bull Terrier, but a good one is hard to find. So far we've visited three breeders, and just seeing and meeting a house full of Bull Terriers is already a good therapy.
Here in The Netherlands the top Bull Terrier breeders don't believe in the kennel system, every Sire or Dam has their place in the house as well as all the puppies, can you imagine paying a visit, entering the living room and you are welcomed by a pack of Bull Terriers?

Anyway, on the 27th of february we're invited to choose our pedigree pup and then we'll collect her in the first weekend of april.

Sorry to hear about your doog.

Believe new puppy will bring you new joy in life and new familly member.

There is always time for R4. He won't go nowhere!

Hello to all of you.
It has been awhile but after almost 4 years I'll continue the restoration of my beloved 1985 R4 GTL :D

The restoration order has changed slightly. The chassis is moved to the end of my shed and first I start restoring the body which will be hoisted to the ridge of the shed after completion.
Then the chassis is moved, restored further , sprayed and build and then the body will reunite with the chassis.

The body is lifted on some support trestles.
655.jpg

The window is removed and the famous R4 rust is visible.
656.jpg 657.jpg

The bad piece is cut out (we all know the drill).
658.jpg

The donorpiece which I collected many years ago from @Jurjenz Louise is finally united with our Reeske :D
659.jpg

And after welding the donorpiece in place we apply the zinc.
660.jpg
661.jpg

That's it for now but stay tuned because this restoration will continue spoiling you with the progress, pictures etcetera.

Cheers

I am very pleased you have finally find time to continue you neverending renovation saga .

Will wait your post in anticipations.
Cheers

I am very pleased you have finally find time to continue you neverending renovation saga .

Will wait your post in anticipations.
Cheers
Thanks Hrvoje,

Indeed time to finish the restoration, the house, and everything thing that goes with it, is completed so now again it's time to get the hands dirty.

Cheers, Joop

Back