Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 4 armee de l' air project (Robinette)

If I understand your photos, the Sinpar kit replaces your 845 gearbox, and has a long shaft that goes to the back axle that also has two drive shafts for the back wheels? The back axle rests or hangs on those brackets that you installed today? No wonder you have to have a smaller petrol tank

Does that long shaft lay along the side of the sump or directly beneath it?

The driveshaft to the back lays next to the sump. Ground clearance is at a maximum due to this construction. The smaller tank is without the hump that normal tanks have. Also for clearance and to accommodate a stone guard.

And Finally today the chassis landed on the ground on 4 wheels

Because the adjusters for the rear brakes were stuck it took so long. After 6 weeks of soaking in WD40 I took a blowtorch to them last monday. After heating them I took a vice-
grip to the big round part on the inside an twisted them lose.

So today I finally got round to finishing the rear wheel assembly.
IMG_0266.JPG IMG_0267.JPG IMG_0268.JPG

On the last photo you can see the rear driveshafts already in place

Orange one is pretty nice.....

Would not pass MOT in Croatia but would like to drive it like that!

Hey Petak, Does the MOT in Croatia say something about the looks of cars to?:laughing:
It goes to show how well this ratlook is done. The original orange is still good without any rust. Al the rust damage is spray painted on and a coat of Owatrol and wood stain finishes it.

Underneath it is all heathy and safe GTL technique.

Regards, Robert

Last edited:
I like the orange one too. My very fussy neighbours would, complain to the local authority, if it was on my drive.!!

Having been a British "Sapper" maybe I should do my F4 in an appropriate colour scheme for that application?

I like the orange one to and fortunately my neighbours are not really bother in fact the find it quite interesting seeing the comings and goings.

I like the orange one to and fortunately my neighbours are not really bother in fact the find it quite interesting seeing the comings and goings.
I was only part way joking about the neighbours, but comments have been made about "Can't you afford a newer car"
If only I could handle Adobe Photoshop properly, I could have fun and games designing a scheme for my van.

Hah, but in reality who's car is still going to be on the road in ten years time yours or the neighbours and probably going to be worth more ?

This rat look 4 was at Renaultoloog last year, the rust effect was so well done. Love this sticker on the tailgate, and the overall effect was very convincing.

• DSC_0017.JPG
    DSC_0017.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC_0018.JPG
    DSC_0018.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 6
harbourseal...
In some cases it can be very hard on car condition.....
On friends car varnish faded on roof and guy told him to paint it and then cam back for MOT.

Some peoples that i know tried to do rat look on car, and could not get licence...to MOT guy it is just rusted car....no mater that under the hood cars are in much better shape than 50% those that pass MOT regularly

Some peoples that i know tried to do rat look on car, and could not get licence...to MOT guy it is just rusted car....no mater that under the hood cars are in much better shape than 50% those that pass MOT regularly

MOT is supposed to make our roads save. Technicians should look at safety not at looks.

Unfortunately, here it is big difference on who you ran into when doing MOT.
As if every MOT guy read law in his own way....

And if you ran into someone who is pissed that day he can send you back because of different color of your wing, and other time if he is in good mood you can pass with some major fault.
Sometimes sticker on window is not guarantee that car is relay safe to drive

It is sad but, that is how it is....

Luckily these days it is more leveled (because MOT guy get monitored, and get fired if they let go car that obviously is not road worthy) but few years back it was nightmare....

Yesterday-evening I picked up a new body for my project.
The intensive dancing on the roof by the French youths resulted in a roofline that was irreparable.
The metal had gotten so thin that it was impossible to straighten. Copious amounts of filler were needed to do the job and it was still unstable.

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 3
I have been away for some time and haven't been able to work extensively on my project.

Here is an update.

I have put the engine and gearbox in the chassis
IMG_0357.JPG
IMG_0352.JPG

Unfortunately I do have to lift it again because the driveshaft for the back differential has only 1mm clearance over the lower traverse underneath the engine. I do need to dent it somewhat to make the clearance acceptable.

Because of the second gearstick to enable and disable the 4X4 I couldn't use the normal battery stand and I had to make a new one in the right hand firewallIMG_0366.JPG
righthand firewall with inner wing for measuring
IMG_0369.JPG
Cut made
IMG_0368.JPG
mock up with battery and expansion vessel.
IMG_0375.JPG
Welded the battery stand in place
IMG_0383.JPG
all finished and primed.

For making the battery stand I used a baseplate of 2mm steel and welded an edge round it made from 1,5mm L-steel. To make the edges meet and fill in the gaps I put in a piece of L shaped brass and welded around it. After that grinding away the access metal
IMG_0371.JPG
Open edge corner
IMG_0373.JPG
placing the brass L shape
IMG_0374.JPG
Ready for welding the gap
IMG_0372.JPG
After welding ready for grinding.

The brass prevents the welding wire to make an even bigger hole and it doesn't stick to the steel so you end up with a nice welded corner.

Back