Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Finally took the courage...

Saturday was the great day: after painting the front member, finally put the engine on the car again.

In the meanwhile, a cable holder (or maybe a pipe holder) was found broken; even if I don't remember what passes throught it, I proceeding in fabricating a new one.

That's a very shiny 'Napoleons Hat' ! Great progress .... Not long before you will be posting the first start up of the engine

Shaking hands while engine is getting in.....I am totally understand you....

This metal holder is for fuel line, and it is bolted on engine stand

P1020741.jpg

No Petak, it's another one, the one for the fuel line is already at its place... thks one goes just above the starting motor, bolted on the same bolt of the left engine silent block...

It's time for details, so no much difference from last post... mounted alternator, pulleys, waterpump, manifold... changed rubbers and joints on the steeringbox and bolted again at its place.

Found a nice metal fan and yellow painted as in origine.

Can anyone tell me why fans changed from 4 to 6 elements? I can imagine that the 6 elements ones transport more air and are more efficient, but I do not think that earlier r4s suffer from overheating more than others...
I have a 4 elements one but I preferred to buy the "newer" version on ebay... still don't know if I've chosen the right colour! Yellow is the original one but maybe black was more "classic".

It took me 6 coats of spray paint to have a nice yellow finish, and at the end I discovered the fan touches the alterator nut... maybe it was designed to run on the side of a dynamo.

Mounted using 4 washers as spacers... hope that now it won't touch the radiator!

Tried mounting the fan the other way, it was a bit better but still touching a bit... maybe some slight bending would do the job, but I preferred the washer trick. Is it somehow dangerous?

Are we sure it is actually a renault 4 part can't remember seeing 6 blade fan on one then most 845 models extinct as far as ones I regularly work on
Looks like R12 to me think the yellow colour was safety related
Have you tried offering radiator and cowling into position to check clearances
If you try bending blades it will go out of balance and ruin the waterpump bearings over time

It was listed by the seller between other r4 parts, and I have seen it on another r4 a few months ago (same shape - same colour), so i bought it with confidence...
Good observation about the water pump bearing; the water pump is new and I want her to last as lomg as she can.

Hi Azazello, your engine is 845 and the fan turns clockwise. The fan blades are supposed to pull air through the radiator. Looking at the way your blades are curved, I think it would be better to reverse the fan.
Looking at photos above before you painted the fan, one edge of each blade is cleaner than the other. The reason for that I think is that the clean edge is the cutting edge and the dirty edge is when the blade "throws" the air towards your engine block.
Perhaps this fan is for an anti-clockwise engine?

I'll have another look, but I checked with the plastic fan I have and the other "4 blade" fan and both orientation and direction looked the same...
So the "clean" edge goes facing the rad? I am still in time for reversing...
Anyway, tried positioning radiator and checked clearance. .. all seems ok.

And it has to cool a lot! I am not certain wether I like the yellow colour or not, but it was this color in origin andtried to keep original... but maybe I would have preferred it in black.

Mojobaby, you were right... I confronted another time with the original plastic one and it was facing the wrong side to the rad! Already changed position.
Thanks, you for sure saved me some headscratching.

By the way, I spent my afternoon spraying wax in chassis cavities...

Back