Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 4 armee de l' air project (Robinette)

I've always liked those side indicators, were they on the original car as well?

Your seats are beautifully made and look extremely comfortable!!

The side indicators weren't on the original donor. But the fenders were so buckled that I had to find replacements. I found one together with an inside fender from an early R4 with the indicator hole in it.
Of course I didn't plug the hole. But I drilled a hole in the other fender to.

The craftsmanship on the chairs is outstanding and they sit extremely comfortable.

I'm finally nearing completion of this project. A few more weeks and she'll be on the road again.

Chairs are fantastic!
Love fact that are from same era.
Definitely will help driving thru corners.

Can you tell are you sitting lower than on renault 4 chairs?

Hey Petak,
They are about 1cm lower than the original chairs. No real difference.
It's almost plug and play with the chairs. I drilled some holes in the lower frame and welded 4 m6 nuts at the top of the frame. Then just bolted the R4 rails agains the frame with some spacer rings from an original 70tees R4 chair I could do with the plastic spacers that come with the later chairs but they weren't at hand
IMG_0794.JPG
I just found a picture with the original upholstery
IMG_0004.JPG
Before and after now

Last few week Ive been working to make my MOT deadline.
Very few pics but trust me many things still to be done. Minor setbacks like a leaking petrol tank, small coolant leaks, leaking brake pipes all have been fixed.
fortunately the wire harnas came out of the donor car undamaged. so everything is in working order.

Last week I started my rebuild engine for the first time. and today I tried the brakes and the Sinpar gearbox and 4wd. And it all works.

It needs some finetuning but it works fine

In order to het trough the MOT I needed to adjust the front and rear drum brakes.
They aren't the self adjusting types.
I have been looking for some time for the right Facom spanner with a square 3/4 hole in it.
Today I finally gave up and made one myself.
Adjusted the brakes without rounding the adjustment bolts.
Happy with my new tool.
image.jpeg

She's ready for MOT.
And after searching for 2,5 years I finally found the centre caps for the Gordini rims.
So hopefully Friday next week, I'll be driving a Sinpar Renault 4TL

image.jpegimage.jpeg

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 7
And another video.
Although illegal, I worked up the courage to get on the road without MOT.
I had not test driven this R4 before I started the restoration.
In all it isn't bad.

The noise you hear is the fasten seatbelt signal on the Volvo 242 that is following me.

Who hoo! Going again. Will be great to hear how it performs off road. Next step MOT

Unfortunately my project failed the MOT. Due to a mistake I made with the left rear wheel bearings:doh:I forgot to tension it far enough.
And a Universal joint of the left rear drive shaft.
I was afraid to pull it apart and just filled it up with grease hoping it would make the MOT.
Now on a step learning curve Ive managed to replace the universal joint it is actually quite easy. Next Thursday wil be my second chance for the MOT.

MOT tests can be a curse as well as a blessing. At least if you pass, then you know that your car is safe for you to drive and your passengers too.
I have to go back again tomorrow for my 2nd test-emissions

I have never think of MOT as something bad......

If nothing else once in year your car get checked from top to bottom.

Now you know what was not good after reconstruction.........

@mojobaby good luck with the test.
@petak A MOT is not a bad thing at all. But in the Netherlands it isn't a top to bottom test. Just the necessary safety points and everything that is on the car needs to work as its supposed to.
But sometimes you see MOTed cars driving around and you wonder who has done the test. Because all kinds of things are wrong with it

Back