Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

What I am doing!

Thank you Cornish . I needed a break from painting the house all day so went to get Sweet Pea's tyres pumped up and all checked out. The sunset presented a photo opportunity :laughing:

Hello all. Here is an update on what's been happening with the ex snailshed GTL. As I've always been keen on doing a few mods, I just couldn't resist fettling this little beauty, and as I'd removed all the goodies from my previous car when we sadly parted company, it just had to be done. First on the list was the Ducellior distributor with Aldon electronic ignition, followed by a Zenith 32 if 7 carburettor and stainless steel Powerflow exhaust. This of course meant changing the rocker-box, and doing a bit of plumbing. Nic had said that he had had some problems with cylinder head gaskets, and he mentioned that the water temp light came on now and then, as it did on the journey home to Cornwall from his home in Hertfordshire when I picked it up. So, I thought I would investigate. After draining the system to check the condition of the coolent, it was clear, I refilled with blue antifreeze. However I wasn't diligent enough over bleeding the system, and nearly boiled the engine. I'd read on this forum what a pain it can be to get the air out of the system, now I know, first hand experience. Eventually I got it sorted and took the precaution of changing the thermostat and fitting a temperature sensor at the waterpump. It's had one or two longish runs, the temp light doesn't come on at all, and the temp settles around 85. The next test will be a trip to Kent at the end of the month for the 4L get together. By the way, I did check for combustion gases in the water just in case the head gasket was on the way out again, with a test kit I bought from Sealley, but it seems ok. I'm hoping it will see me through this year without any upsets, and I think next winter it will be engine out for liner seals, timing chain tensioner, which is rattling and anything else that needs doing.
In the meantime the playing continues.
(Views under the bonnet are before and after, and the period GB plate was found at an autojumble recently. The Renault mudflaps I had in stock)
Regards Brian.

• 20170117_141309.jpg
    20170117_141309.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20170411_132522.jpg
    20170411_132522.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20170411_133314.jpg
    20170411_133314.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20170411_133332.jpg
    20170411_133332.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20170411_133348.jpg
    20170411_133348.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20170411_133430.jpg
    20170411_133430.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 19
Brian, Interesting to read your story. As you may have read, I also had problems with the temperature warning light coming on which I finally diagnosed is down to a faulty sensor. The electric fan failed to come on and although I'd fitted a new radiator sensor, one of the wires going to the sensor was black all the way along it's route. A fresh new wire fitted and the fan came on after fifteen minutes of the engine ticking over. But then I noticed the warning light can come on at the same time, so two faults caused the same thing.

I also have bought the same water temperature gauge as you did plus a brass M18x1.5-1/8"NPT adaptor and shall tap into the existing plug in the water pump. After giving the matter a bit of thought, where to position the gauge, I've decided to try to fit the D-shaped bracket ON THE SIDE of the instrument panel as this will leave the small shelf free. At the moment I cannot see if it possible to ease away the instrument panel at this point and hate the idea of just drilling into the side and screwing in a pair of self tappers (and not knowing what is close up behind). Any ideas?

Aldon electronic ignition. I understand that there are others available and wondered why you chose that make. Did the engine feel any differently after fitting it?

Hello Paul. I had been watching the post on your experiences concerning the cooling system on your car, and I thought at first it was a dodgy sensor on my car, as I know that they can play up, and their operation can be a bit hit or miss. My fan does work, and seems to cut in at around 85 degrees.I managed to find a sensor to fit the pump on eBay under Renault 5 spares. My previous 4 didn't have a pump with any means of fitting a sensor, so I fitted one to the top hose via an adaptor got from Demon Tweeks. This worked well, but on this car i want to keep the gizmos out of sight. The temp gauge is in a temporary place during testing, so I'm not sure where I will fit it permanently, but the side of the instrument panel is good, as on my previous car I fitted a rev counter there, but I used very small self tappers. However, on this car I'm not happy about drilling into an unspoilt interior.
In reply to your question regarding Aldon EI, I think I saw their advert in Practical Classics magazine, and I phoned them to order the unit suitable for that particular distributor, so I didn't shop around. It works very well, instant starting, and the engine just runs better, or seems too.

Regards Brian.

Guys Surely hung below the little shelf would be a good position?
Carefully carve a peice of wood to fit the 'curl' of the little shelf on the underside front edge and glue or strong double sided tape into position. Then screw up into that?

Not for me. I've tried it in various positions (Ooh Matron) and can see it getting clobbered by my knee or something there. No I want it within my line of sight but not on top of the dashboard either, so it's that little shelf to the right of the instrument panel for me.

It would seem like a good place Jonathan, but I think Paul is maybe right, bit of a knee cruncher. It's not easy to suss out a good spot to fit gauges without wrecking the dashboard.

Whole year went by and i still did not find good place for two gauges.
Somewhere near main instrument close to eye jet discreet and to look nice in interior.
Making holes is not an option.

Out today for a very enjoyable treasure hunt raising money for the Air ambulance.
Boiling hot day 30deg! But Womble held good at a steady 95 all day. For one of the items of treasure we had to 'fish' for a horseshoe and bring it back to the start point. All great fun

• IMG_6537.JPG
    IMG_6537.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6538.JPG
    IMG_6538.JPG
    201.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6540.JPG
    IMG_6540.JPG
    219.5 KB · Views: 9
Whoa! I’m a long way down the pile! So hopefully this little post will put me back up top :laughing:

For a while I had a fluffing manifold to exhaust connection . I had bound it with aluminium tape then clamped it but the tape kept giving way . This time I used a section of baked bean tin, put exhaust paste on the innner surfaces and bolted up tight. Brilliant really secure and no fluffing!

Just seen earlier comments it was 95deg temperature on the gauge not mph! :doh:

• 263BB814-2C7A-4C67-A85B-E890220730AC.jpeg
    263BB814-2C7A-4C67-A85B-E890220730AC.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 4
Whoa! I’m a long way down the pile! So hopefully this little post will put me back up top :laughing:

For a while I had a fluffing manifold to exhaust connection . I had bound it with aluminium tape then clamped it but the tape kept giving way . This time I used a section of baked bean tin, put exhaust paste on the innner surfaces and bolted up tight. Brilliant really secure and no fluffing!
Just seen earlier comments it was 95deg temperature on the gauge not mph! :doh:
Yes, that's the same kind of battle damage repair I did in the old days. Used a narrow tin of tomato paste, exhaust paste, 2 clamps and passed MOT every year, even with multiple repairs on the full lenght of the exhaust pipe.

Hi there, the chrome hubcaps on your blue one, how did you fit them? Are they standard 195cm ones but you’ve manufactured something on the hub to bolt against? Help appreciated.

Matt

Hi there, the chrome hubcaps on your blue one, how did you fit them? Are they standard 195cm ones but you’ve manufactured something on the hub to bolt against? Help appreciated.

Matt
Hello Matt yes I designed a ‘plug’ with thread hole in the shape of a top hat. Made of engineering plastic they work really well see earlier in this blog

Back